Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What to do with a 19 month old

This is not a list of suggestions...but a question. What do you do with a toddler when you are usually feeding or dealing with a fussy baby and the weather outside is too cold? (although we have been lucky the last few days)

How we know there is a problem
  1. Sawyer laughs and claps when The Office theme song comes on
  2. He screams, claps and laughs preemptively on Finding Nemo
  3. Dora and Diego are a part of his 50 word vocabulary
  4. So are cookie and candy
  5. He requests nigh-nigh (bed)

What we've tried

  1. Play-doh, very well received, although every couple of minutes he tilts his head to the side, puts it to his lips and a little questioning sound, like "are you sure this isn't tasty?"
  2. Coloring with crayons and markers, all of which have also been consumed
  3. Cooking. This he loves, surprisingly he is not very good at it.
  4. Play dates, which the last time we had several kids over here they played in his room with his toys while he hung out on my lap pointing at the tv
  5. Playing with da-da which is always a hit
  6. Touching Oliver's head on the exact same spot 20-30 times a day and repeating "baby"

So if you have any fantastic ideas for me, I'd love to hear them! Can't wait for summer! And for your viewing pleasure...


11 shout outs:

Heather said...

Try throwing him in your sink tub. This way you can get kitchen, bills, lots done in view of him, and he will be pleasantly entertained in a very limited space. Mom told me to do this with Sophie the other day, and it bought me 45 minutes, and she spilled very little water out. don't feel guilty about the TV (at least at this stage in your lives!)

Amy said...

Fun days Meg! I have the extra 4 year old to deal with which sometimes is nice but often just leads to fights between the 2 year old & the 4 year old while I watch because I am feeding the baby.

Nothing is wrong with the T.V. as far as I'm concerned. Every kid needs to know..."Wow wow wow wow wubbsy, wubbsy wow wow".... ♥

Amy said...

Fun days Meg! I have the extra 4 year old to deal with which sometimes is nice but often just leads to fights between the 2 year old & the 4 year old while I watch because I am feeding the baby.

Nothing is wrong with the T.V. as far as I'm concerned. Every kid needs to know..."Wow wow wow wow wubbsy, wubbsy wow wow".... ♥

grammajill said...

Maybe you didn't notice...........requesting Nigh Nigh is not a problem...

grammajill said...

Does he like playing with tupperware? They can fit littler bowls into bigger bowls, etc, and it is much quieter than beating pots and pans with a spoon..

Ashlie Dalton said...

Cole's new thing is playing babies. We try to make "huts" and different stuff out of what we have and pretend it's the babies house.
Sorry I'm not much help. I am going to be reading your comments for helpful suggestions as well :)
I liked Heather's idea of the sink tub. Let me know what you find works.

Kasey Lighten said...

You are such a trooper Meg...I have twins and I worry about how you are doing!! Such cute boys though! One little thing that my kids LOVE is coloring...I know you said you did this, but I have found the best thing is to get those Color Wonder book and markers (the ones that only color on the specific book). Then you can just let him color all he wants and never worry about the mess or watching him while he is doing it. :) I especially love these in church! :) Other thing, just hang in there and try to enjoy it because it will be over sooo fast...really cliche but sooo true! Miss you!

The Baldwin's said...

I am so not good at giving suggestions like this, but I know Tamara has Preslee feed her baby and change her when she's doing that stuff with Jonah...I know a lot of Mom's get their boys baby boys when they become big brothers, maybe that would interest him because he would be acting kinda like you ?!? We need to get together again, once a month isn't the best to get out of my house, you know :)

Melissa said...

I'm not a very good friend. Yes, we are still planning to come visit. Maybe that will help occupy Sawyers time for a little bit. When we are finally to the point of not spreading sickness I'll call you.

The Bentley's said...

your kids are soooo cute! Give hiime a roll of toilet paper and let him go crazy. or a roll of tape. I know sounds random but it entertains my kids. Get some yarn and fruit loops and make a cheerio necklace {that would require lots of help} but would kill time. Oh, and I agree with heather DON"T feel too guilty about the t.v. sometimes it keeps you sane. and them quiet. You are a very cute mom.

Heather said...

So this is way slow in coming-but Sam has recently discovered a love of playing cards. We have a random deck that we never use, so they're his to dump, hide, toss in the air, stack--whatever. He's seen us play card games, so it's interesting & 'grown up', but he's not going to hurt anything by playing with them.