Thursday, March 5, 2009

Daddy

I've been looking for an excuse to blog about my dad, and I have one. This past weekend he flew out alone to see all of us and come to Oliver's blessing. He's a busy guy, a bishop, real estate agent...and he sacrificed 6 days altogether for us, wow am I lucky! To say that I adore my dad is an understatement. I think he is the greatest. He is funny, friendly, happy, helpful, smart...I could go on and on. I'm getting sad because spending evenings with him watching murder shows and talking was so much fun, since E is intensely studying right now. Ask anyone, my dad has the best stories. I always tease him that it sounds like he grew up in the 1800's. He grew up in England, he had a headmaster at his school and he remembers having no phone at home. Stories he has from growing up are so sweet and charming, I could listen to them over and over. I guess I can't put it all into words, but I absolutely LOVE my daddy. Since we lived with my parents for Sawyer's entire first year of life, when we moved it was incredibly sad especially for them missing Sawyer. My dad was nervous when he came that Sawyer wouldn't remember him at all. We talk about Grandpa a lot, sing his songs and point to his picture. When we opened the door and he was standing there, it was like not a day had gone by! Sawyer started laughing and hiding behind me, poking his head around, it was so sweet. Within minutes they were play fighting. It didn't hurt that my dad gave him his own bag of Hershey kisses :) These two had lots of growling matches and watched a lot of Toy Story. Right after my dad got there we were eating dinner, and my dad leaned against the counter and folded his arms. Sawyer stopped eating and immediately folded his arms too...he continued to copy everything my dad did. So sweet.

Here are some pictures of the beautiful boy on his special day. E gave a very sweet blessing and Ollie didn't make a peep, that I heard at least. Here is our Oliver King:




10 shout outs:

Ashlie Dalton said...

Awe! How cute of your dad! I love him too. :)

Sara said...

aw what a sweet post and you look gorgeous in that photo!
your dad is so cute and i was glad to meet him. too bad i didn't get to visit with him more. next time. :)
that sad face on ollie is SO cute.
i love being his nanny!

Rachel said...

I am a big fat baby, I totally bawled reading that. I know how much you miss and love your Daddy I am SO glad you got to spend time with him, and the Sawyer got to play with his favorite GP. Only three months till we get to see you guys, can't wait!

Rachel said...

p.s. I don't think Ollie lips could be any bigger, or pouty-er(is that even a word?) they are FANTASTIC!

Amy said...

Beautiful photos Meg!

I wish I knew dad the way you and Heather do. I was the oldest, dad was gone all of the time and we had different experiences. I would love to spend time just listening to his stories.

Ash and Joe said...

loved the post. so sweet!

grammajill said...

Megs! Love the photos! i know dad had a great time too! I especially love the one of E and Ollie and you with Ollie, too. I need an update on the whole da#* family for my family photo wall.

Heidi said...

Oliver is a lovely boy. Glad you all had a good time together. Sawyer is a real little boy now, but I guess that happens when you have a new baby.

Jenny said...

How nice to be able to have your dad come in for the blessing. Sounds like you were able to enjoy it!

Jene and Megan said...

I know the feeling of missing your dad!! When I had Eric my Mom was just going to come out and I was happy with that but sad my dad wasn't coming but he surprised us all and flew out for the weekend!! Anyway, cute cute pictures!!