Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Impressions of Kville

I saw a lady walking a cat. Yes, you read that right. I saw a lady walking a cat, leash and all.


People are SUPER friendly, this couple saw E wearing a BYU t-shirt (unusual I know) and stopped because they were alumni (and not LDS). They were so excited and introduced themselves, and told us to come to them for help with anything, the wife is a professor at Truman (the other university here). I was convinced they were going to sell us something in the end, but no, they were just nice!


The movie theater has sold out ONCE in like the last five years. They sold out ONE night and only ONE showing of Dark Knight.


When the manager ordered up the WalMart, he had a paper with a checklist, right? Okay, I know not really but this is how I picture it in my head. Pretty clean and new looking Walmart, check. Pretty good grocery selections, check. Craft department medium, but in the sub-boxes he opted for a deluxe package in the $1 fabric selection area. And finally, the sporting goods. Not only do they have pink John Deere fabric, but he ordered the "Cabella's" or "Burr" package. There are plastic deer with targets on them in the aisle.


When we went to the hospital for my ultrasound, we waited in a big room to register. It was like the waiting room to heaven, not because it was awesome, meaning all the people there were near death. And I never saw any of the old people come out, I think they were euthanizing them or something. I could feel myself decaying, it was quite the sight, at least 30-40 people like 85+!


There is a big Amish community here, so we see them all over Walmart, dressed in the skirts and hats. My mom even heard one of them speaking old English! They have lots of stands where they sell homemade foods.


There is a farmers market every weekend in the "Square", the main part of town.


Everything in town is within 8 mins.


We are right by a State Park called Thousand Hills Park, it is really pretty with lots of big green trees and a huge pretty lake.


The "town" consists of two universities, an undergrad, Truman State University, and AT Still University (or Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine). So there are lots of college students, young families and old folks!


Ernesto does have a cadaver, he shares with a few other students, he was a 72 year old man, he had heart failure or something, and he donated his body to science. So like once or twice a week they go and take this man apart (sick). The night before the first time he went to anatomy, he ran his finger down my spine, and said, "This is where I am going to cut him tomorrow..." SICK! Then the other night he was telling me they'd have to use a bone saw to get into his spine with this smile on his face, what is he Dexter (the lovable serial killer)?


As always, must add a picture of the Sawyer. His new thing is wearing his towel after his bath like a cape. Funny boy.


7 shout outs:

Ashlie Dalton said...

Fun and interesting! When can we come visit?!

Heather said...

it sound's like such a cute fun town, totally gilmore girls! Small towns have their own charm. I like the cute pic of sawyer, and the railing is totally covering his junk.

Miss you sad

Jene and Megan said...

Sounds like you guys are in a good place with some interesting twists!! Oh and I would totally do something crafty with the plastic deer with the targets on them. :)

Heidi said...

What an interesting place. I wonder how long you will have to be there before you know everyone. I found it amusing that the sight of someone walking is odd - I do agree that walking a cat is a bit odd.
I look forward to you next 'life in a small town' report. Sawyer looks great, getting big.

grammajill said...

Super Sawyer! I can vouch for all Megan said about the Walmart. The hunting section is bigger than the childrens clothing! And they do use the "thee and Thou" stuff, it was weird. Hard not to stare!
Can't wait to see you all again!

The Bentley's said...

that is the funniest post:) loved reading it:) sounds like a fun little town:) i used to take all my guests (in ohio) to omish country just so we could stick our head out of our windows like morons and take pictures of them? i know lame....so lucky you you don't even have to drive to get your pics:)

Amy said...

Oh Meg, It sounds like you are doing pretty good. You are such a good writer. I remember when you would write stories all the time.

Anyhow, gotta love the Wal-Mart!

Love you, miss you kiss you sad....